Expectation

Tuesday, February 24, 2009 1 comment
Some scans from yet another book. Ha! I think some of the points made are exact reflection of my thinking, phrased more humorously. They may sound pathetic at the first read but like truth, the effect diminishes after digestion. Like what I concluded when I was at my lowest some two years back (gosh time flies!), the world is unfair and we have to live in it all the same.

Self-victimization
I learnt first-handed that this won't work. At least this is true in my field, even for those in school. No matter how much help one is getting, if you are not pulling yourself up, many others are very willing to lend a leg and kick you down. After all, there is no harm in getting one competitor less in this high-turnover and precise profession. In fact it requires less energy to push something / someone down than to pull it / him up.

Break
Honestly I would wish that life is divided into semesters. I think I can cope better that way. Although I admit I have discovered that my attention span deteriorated drastically when I was in that dreaded education system. The symptoms come about as fatigue and unproductivity, within two months. When I was in my Year 4, I started to slack even before the mid-semester break. That was the worst year I had. Surprisingly, I managed to go through eight months of uninterrupted productivity at work, breaking only during the festive season. Applause! Now, I have picked up the momentum again and running towards the break that I have set for myself in April.

Someone asked why am I always so free at work, being able to come and go as I wish. It goes the same logic as this point.
Since the boss does not give a damn on how I feel, I am not giving a damn on how morality is going to help me keep my job or raise my pay.

I am very accustomed to part-time jobs; I really enjoyed and loved to continue part-timing if it can offer a pay as high as the permanent one. Since this is quite impossible, I turned the theory the other way round such that I am getting the full pay but working with a part-time mentality. I never believe that my first job will be the one I retire from. I have treated it as a filler until I land myself on a better one. So I was never choosy when I was offered a place. And I am not at all worried that the economy is bad now as I have taken this one as a part-time only.

I always set my expectation low so that the results would be satisfactory. It does not put me low. Instead I am happier this way. I hope this can be enlightenment to some troubled friends.

1 comment:

  • Anonymous said...

    i like your analysis on the part on first job not equal to last job and how lower expectations can lead to a happier life..though i must say i fail terribly in this aspect..

Post a Comment

 

©Copyright 2011 d0uble-o-fish | TNB