I like "I Am Legend"

Thursday, December 27, 2007 0 comment
Because there's Will Smith. Because 80% of the drama and action are Will Smith. Because he is the only reason this movie is not a flop.

I AM LEGEND
I wished the movie would have ended when Robert attempted suicide, he was humane afterall, despite being a Legend. (I got this from the tears he shed when his wife and daughter took flight on the helicopter, knowing they would never see each other again.) It seems that Anna and Ethan's appearance is just so that they can pass on words of the achievements of Robert - like in the original novel. But I think they appeared too late in the show that caused the ending to be very sudden.

The CGI is lousy here. My standard of a good CGI is when I never realise it is a CGI until I'm told. But I can identify the CGI scenes in this movie easily. The 'overview' of the Manhattan street is like a 'fly' over GoogleEarth with Photoshop. The weed-infested roads are like grocery dropped on the ground. The bombing of Brooklyn is cartoon. And the 'Infected's are definitely relatives of Lord Voldermort - only capable of groaning / roaring / howling through that wide-open toothless mouths.



Fortunately, there is Smith. And the very intelligent Sam (CGI or not). I like the introduction, which was the trailer contents, of the routine that Robert went through everyday in the past 5 years.
Morning: exercise, eat breakfast, recreation
Noon: hunt, gather, wait
Night: survive
Bright sunshine and clear waters around Manhattan, but the city was deserted. That is a perfect setting to introduce the protagonist.

Then the lab testing and action in the darkness are very successful as sudden scares too. And the tense and twist also created several climax to keep the pace going. They are simply too good to be wrecked by the abrupt ending!

0 comment:

Post a Comment

 

©Copyright 2011 d0uble-o-fish | TNB