Knowing Park Bo Gum

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 0 comment
I was eating HaiDiLao with Bryan on 1 October. Because we have been meeting so often, I have lost track of what we talked about in the numerous hours that we spend together. However I do remember that over the 麻辣锅 and 鱼缥 that afternoon, he spoke of a Korean drama that he was watching recently -
about a girl disguising as a man who entered the palace as an eunuch through a series of ridiculous accidents and coincidence.
At that moment, I was scorning him for watching such "low-intelligence" drama, (momentarily forgetting that I have loved watching Vampire Idols just 3 years ago.)



9 October, tvN held their first ever awards ceremony to celebrate its 10th anniversary.
All the other major Korean broadcast stations (SBS, KBS , MBC) hold such events every year-end as a closure ceremony. But being a cable channel, tvN do not have such culture, despite their dramas & variety shows picking up in viewership in the recent years.

I am personally intrigued by some of their dramas for touching on genre that are taboo in mainstream TV - pure gruesome and "non-family-friendly' topics.
The first highlight of tvN10 Awards is the high profile entrance of the cast of Signal, which I have just recently finished watching and was completely sold with the plot and acting and promise of a sequel.

The second highlight is the reunite of Seo In-Guk & Jung Eun-ji singing the theme song for Answer Me 1997. That drama was the start of a cult, pricking at the hearts of all Koreans, and maybe all K-drama addicts. For me it was a delightful truck of stories told with a lot of heart that I still feel the pang of sadness and nostalgia when i re-watch some of the clips nowadays.



And then the article on DB that I was reading bombarded me with tonnes of photographs of the cast from a drama that I have yet to look up on, Answer Me 1988. Apparently it bagged the most awards in the drama department. And I thought this event is supposed to reward productions from the past 10 years? And how frustrated I was that Queen In-hyun's Man got nothing!? And Misaeng only received ONE award!? There must be some magic in Answer Me 1988. Plus there was this video-call between Bo-Gum and Hyeri where they openly called each other nam-pyong and wifey. OK so they just spoilt their cult-drama's trademark 'guess the husband' mystery at a major TV event? Which means that I don't have to guess the husband as much as I did for Answer Me 1997 & Answer Me 1994!

So I started to watch Answer Me 1988.


Eventually, I got the second-lead-syndrome again #TeamJungHwan ! And years ago I was on #TeamChilbong too, cry ~ (Because to me, the guy whom the girl ends up with at the finale shall be the first-lead, therefore this frustratingly-dense guy is the second-lead.) And for a while I was dissed by the poisonous girl. Oh well~ That's personal attack.

But the second-lead Ryu Joon-Yeol's work after Answer Me 1988 (Lucky Romance) is so makjang, that i just read the last 2 episodes on DB & gave up. I thought, let's wait for a more worthy work from him.

So I steered back to the first-lead, Bo-Gum.



Back in 2014, when I watched Ki-woong, Joo-won & Horsital in the almost-perfect Gakistal / Bridal Mask (2012), I did noticed that cute face that appeared for like 2 episodes near the ending. But I never look up on his name.


And then in 2016, Ji-Hyo unnie almost hyperventilated to the prospect of meeting Park Bo-Gum on Running Man, TWICE! In Ep.287 & Ep.293. Oh! This is the boy!


He's no longer playing younger version of the main characters and he has his own shows now! He's also in Cantabile Tomorrow (2014) with Joo-won again, though I knew the drama remake was a flop (most likely because the Japanese version was too good to be surpassed).




And most importantly, he is the crown prince in the palace where the girl disguising as a man entered as an eunuch! Haha, now you know my stories goes in circles.

And what can further blow my mind, than this official teaser. It is the OFFICIAL teaser! How hilarious for a sageuk drama?!





And so I thought I should be looking up this boy - the way I did to Woo-bin in 2013. And I discovered that his list of works is so long that I need to watch them in cuts. So much to catch up on a young actor with superb micro-expressions! This task is manageable with the movies that he cameo in, but for full length drama like I Remember You, I devised a plan to read up DB and drag through the video timebar to watch just his parts. And so unfortunately, he seems to be everywhere in the series. Hahaha.


The 3 psychopaths in "I Remember You", not being very normal in real life either.

Let's see if I'm still on the Gum-wagon for as long as I worshiped Woobinism or as short as I sailed with Il-woo-ship.




「LF」

0 comment:

Post a Comment

 

©Copyright 2011 d0uble-o-fish | TNB