LF visits Taipei: Taipei 101

Thursday, April 16, 2009 0 comment
For that whole afternoon when I was in Taipei 101, I was wondering why I have no common sense for so many years, believing that the Taiwanese drama were deliberately filmed near the skyscraper in order to show it in their background. After I went one round on the 89th storey then it came to me that, if I can see almost the entire Taipei City from Taipei 101, doesn't it implies that everywhere in Taipei City can see Taipei 101 too?

The weather was not favorable for a Taipei 101 visit that morning. Unfortunately I have packed the schedule too tight that we have to go up no matter what. So, we missed the chance to go to the outdoor 91st storey. And even on the 89th floor, we could not see a lot too. But it was fine since the scenery was not the main point.

I like the way the tower stands sticking out from the entire city. And it will definitely stay this way for many years to come, for I don't think there will be another architect as crazy as this one to conceptualize another sky-touching tower that will be on par with Taipei 101 in the same city.

I like how the concept was 'smoked'. Now I know 'smoking' is actually possible in the real world, I was standing in the product when I learnt it. I like especially the adaptation of the Chinese pagoda and bamboo into the structure that represent flexibility and strength. And yet deep inside the heart of this living envelop, is an advance damping technology that works in a way no one else can imagine.

Decorative motifs, ruyi and the emblem coins are surprisingly very consistent in the entire tower, art pieces and even the mascots. It takes a lot of patience and thoughts to tie the entire big concept into these little things. There are so many details that users usually take for granted. Does anybody recall that there used to be birds and lizards and fishes on the columns of the original Jurong Point? Does anybody remember the stream of water in Marina Square that flowed from end to end?

Convincing oriental concept, locality and site responsive technology constitute what we see in the heart of Taipei - usually with fireworks - Taipei 101. It deserves the place on the record books.

0 comment:

Post a Comment

 

©Copyright 2011 d0uble-o-fish | TNB