Ambigram

Monday, February 2, 2009 0 comment
I am ecstatic!

I was hugging a book throughout my Chinese New Year. It's quite mind-blotching, but very entertaining. Because it's the illustrated version, with large prints, of Angels & Demons! I like these kinds of stories. There are a lot of twists, some action, some history and many architectural references. Despite the many inaccuracies that the critics have spotted, the story is still so perfect that when I was reading it, I don't see what damages the discrepancies can do.


Similar to The Da Vinci Code, which I only read after watching the Tom Hanks movie, I found the illustrated version of Angels & Demons, mainly because I read more from diagrams than texts. In fact Dan Brown's novels are better comprehended with images to support the descriptions, which do no justice to the art pieces, Michelangelo, Bernini, etc. It also saves me the trouble to Google each of the items as I read on. Another pull in Angels & Demons, is the large usage of ambigrams that are so crucial in the story and are also candies to my eyes. Lol. Some of the images shown here are .flash I've copied from the creator, John Langdon, whom the protagonist Robert Langdon is named after. Click and rotate them to view the 'ambiguity'! The four elements in Science, which can create and destroy. Not Hydrogen, Iron, Manganese etc. But the ancient elements of Earth, Air, Fire and Water.
This is the ambigram that caused a leap in my heart, the 'Illuminati Diamond'! The previous time this happened was when I read Harry Potter's first encounter with the Mirror of Erised and saw his parents. That's years ago already! Gosh! How did Dan Brown and John Langdon imagined this!? Earth + Air + Fire + Water! Amazing! There there, more to be seen on Wikipedia. The ambigrams of the rainbow colours - the mirror images. Cool! A drawing by M C Escher, of the right hand and a left, though. Here's another one, which we usually call it a tessellations. Incidentally, this is the image on my February in office!
And guess what? I created my own ambigram in 5 minutes during this morning's meeting! Woohoo! Will refine it into my own font soon. lingfong Thereafter, in the afternoon, I worked on other names. Haha! Interesting! And I think 'akira' will be easy too. What an enlightenment! But nothing beats 'Illuminati'. Click and rotate it!

I'm still at the level of rotating alphabets by alphabets currently. Decorative strokes are too profound just yet.

Studying John Langdon's book now...

0 comment:

Post a Comment

 

©Copyright 2011 d0uble-o-fish | TNB